CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 5, 2012

"Matt, my water just broke"

The birth of the babe...Oh how life has changed in an instant! An instant I will forever cherish. My little man was due to arrive on Friday July 13th. Yep, Friday the 13th. Lucky us right? Well Krew had other plans for his Mama. As you all know I worked up until the day I had my little guy. The week before my due date I was getting a tad more uncomfortable and still trying not to complain I pushed through. I went to work, worked out, ran all my errands, and cleaned house trying to prepare for the FOLLOWING week of welcoming my baby boy home. That week I had my doctor appointment to be checked for the progress we were making. On Tuesday I was dilated to a 2 and a 1/2 while being 70% effaced. I was convinced with my "luck" or lack thereof I would go on my due date or later for sure! I kept telling everyone "you can be dilated to a 2 for weeks!" Well, that Friday July 6th I had a handful of family and friends text me asking "any signs of the little guy yet?" I had to chuckle to myself.."do they know who they're talking to here?" "It's Trish, the girl with no luck of ever going a week early" I was definitely hopeful I'd go a week early, but thought it was very random that so many people would have texted me the same day wondering. That same night I kept telling Matt "maybe we should go camping." "You do realize this could be our last free weekend ya know?" He looked at me like "you're crazy!" He talked me out of camping and into dinner in St. George. We hopped in the car and headed down. On the way down there I started having super bad back pain. Lower back pain. Me, being CONVINCED I wasn't having this baby for another week thought nothing of it. I had braxton hicks contractions before and this certainly wasn't that so "I'm good". I kept telling myself. :) After dinner we drove around, but I still just didn't feel up to doing much. By now my back pain had subsided I was just pretty tired. So...Matt drove us home. I decided to take a warm bath to relax my back. I thought that my back hurt because we were so close to the due date, and maybe the baby was sitting on a nerve or something. I enjoyed a warm bubbly bath complete with my favorite tunes then headed to bed. While laying in bed Matt says to Krew "come see us tonight little fella." "you're gonna come see us huh?" I laughed and rolled my eyes. 1- Who was Matt kidding we're not having him early! 2- How cute is Matt talking to Krew like that? And finally as Matt kissed me good night he rolls over saying jokingly "wake me up when your water breaks." I laughed and said "haha oh, Ok!" One hour and twenty minutes later my water broke!! I woke up out of a dead sleep and said "Matt, my water just broke." He said "no it didn't." "YES, it did!" I said with a more stern voice. Matt popped out of bed turned on the light and said "No you didn't!" I said "Just you wait until I get up." I got up and could not control the flow. Haha Matt through me a towel and we grabbed everything for the hospital. Again, since I was "CONVINCED" this baby wasn't coming for another week our bag was only half packed. We grabbed our last minute list and chucked everything into the bag. I called my Mom to tell her to head to the hospital. I knew they would admit me since I was in real labor at this point. I couldn't believe it...this baby was meeting us tonight! Everyone BUT me was right!! How does that happen?! ;) We got to the hospital at 1:00am. They had me in my room by 1:15. By now I was having those "back pains" I had before so officially I'm going to call those "Contractions." They were getting pretty strong, so strong that I had to stop talking or thinking. I got really hot and the only thing that helped was Matt fanning me. I'm not going to lie, the first set of nurses I came into contact with were not my fav. At least not by first impressions. I was in a ton of pain by now and it just seemed like the whole setting up my room process was taking forever!! The nurse checked me as I was having a contraction and I swear I would have rather died at that moment! I about came off the bed with that one. BUT, I was dilated to a 5 and 80% effaced. FINALLY, after what felt like an eternity they called for the epidural. By now I also had an awesome nurse named Megan helping me through my contractions. The anesthesiologist came in looking half alive little lone awake. Matt was a tad concerned thinking "you are going to be sticking a long needle in my wife's spine?" "I don't think so!" Matt finally piped up asking him "are you even awake?!" Lol He was a bit of a jokester, but I do think when he first came in he wasn't all with it. Luckily, he was very precise at putting the epidural in. Not so lucky for me, my right side didn't go numb. After pushing the pain button as often as I could and laying on my right side for 15 minutes with no luck the anesthesiologist came back in and doped me up. Instantly my right side went numb. We were ready to push at 5a.m. I started pushing with the nurses and after about 10 minutes she stopped me and said "oh we better get Dr. Sanders here." While pushing one nurse said "Oh! There's dark hair!" I looked at Matt ecstatic!!! I was certain we'd have a bald baby. In every ultrasound we couldn't see a thing! This was the best surprise yet! A few minutes later Dr. Sanders came in, suited up and at about 5:20 I started to push. I'm not sure if we were all just loopy because it was the wee hours of the morning or what, but all I remember was the whole delivery room laughing about the sissors Dr. S had and him making Wizard of Oz jokes. Everytime I'd laugh Krew would come a little faster. At 5:32 a.m. On Saturday, July 7th my adorable 8lbs 8oz little boy rounded out the Carter clan. I remember how warm and tiny he was as they laid him on my chest. I remember hearing everyone say "look at his hands!" I kept looking at his feet! He had some big hands and feet for a newbie. But, that hair!! Oh how in love with that hair I was!

One happy Mom. Right after delivery. My baby boy is completely healthy!

Proud Daddy doing the first bathing duties.


Cutest little guy I ever did see.

One happy Daddy!

First Family photo.

"You'll Be
His first kiss
His first love
His first friend
You are his Momma
and he is your whole world
he is your little boy"


8 comments:

The Painters said...

Sis, i love u and this made me cry i felt like i was right there with the way u wrote this thank you for sharing such a personal moment with all of us. your amazing mama

Susan said...

That made me cry :'). Brought back one if the best days of my life. I'm glad you write this blog so we can look back at the process if getting our little Krew man, here. I live your little family. It is perfect!

Susan said...

Lol. I hope you know what I meant. I should never write from my phone. I mean, I LOVE Your little family!

Kristi said...

I loved this post! I'm so glad everything well for you guys and that Krew is here healthy and happy and full of all that hair!! Love your guts and that little fella is a doll !!!

sarah said...

He has so much hair! He's super cute, Tricia. Congratulations! I love labor stories and yours was a good one! Glad everything went smoothly for you.

Amberley said...

Oh I love your birth story!! So glad you wrote it, you'll be happy you did. He truly is one of the cutest infants I have ever seen!!

Natalie said...

I love this story! I know I've heard it before, but it was so fun to read it again! I'm so happy for you guys and what a cute little family you have! You and Matt are such awesome people and I'm so glad I'm lucky enough to know you guys!

Kory said...

First, I LOVE IT!! Second... I do NOT believe you look that good after first,going to bed, and then spending all night in labor! Guess the pretty girls are just that good :) And I am so in love with his hair...